11 September 2011
Switching to a new email service can be overwhelming, but it doesn't have to be. Our instructions on switching email to Google Apps will walk you through all the major and minor steps so that you can test our email service before modifying your MX records. You can even test our service with a subset of your users, and let them explore all the features.
Since the email addresses at your domain won't change, this guide helps you transfer accounts seamlessly - without disrupting your users.
Once you've switched your email service to Google Apps, make sure to notify your users of the new login page (http://mail.google.com/a/yourdomain.com), and instructions for importing their Contacts lists.
Please note that any time you change your MX records, it can take up to 48 hours for your new records to propagate. During this time, mail sent to your domain may bounce.
Enable the login page for your mail accounts & verify ownership of your domain
Here's how to turn on the login page for your domain's mail accounts, and verify that you own the domain associated with your Google Apps account.
- Sign in to the control panel with your admin account (https://www.google.com/a/yourdomain.com). Remember to replace your_domain.com with your actual domain name.
- Click Add more services, if email is not already listed in the Dashboard view.
- Click Add it now next to email. You'll be directed to the How to activate email page.
- Click Verify domain ownership.
- Follow the instructions to upload an HTML file to your website or create a CNAME record.
- When you've completed the instructions for uploading an HTML file or creating a CNAME record, click Verify. Please note that if you verified ownership using CNAME record, the verification process may take up to 48 hours to complete.
Create user accounts
To create user accounts individually:
- Click Create new users on the Dashboard page of your control panel.
- Enter the first name, last name, and username.
- You can set a password of your choosing by clicking Set password.
- Click Create new user. You have the option to email or print the account information for the user.
- Repeat these steps for each user at your domain.
To create many user accounts at once:
- Click Advanced tools along the task bar of your control panel.
- Click User accounts bulk update under Advanced tools.
- Follow the bulk update instructions to upload a .csv file. It's important that you create a new user account for all existing users. For example, if firstname.lastname@example.org is one of your current users, be sure to create the same username with Google Apps.
Modify MX records with your domain host
- Log in to your account with your domain host.
- Navigate to the MX record maintenance page.
MX records may be located in DNS Management, Mail Server Configuration, or Name Server Management. It's possible that you will have to enable advanced settings to edit your MX records.
- Delete existing MX records (this is will discontinue current email service).
- Use the information in the following table when you enter each MX record.
- You may not be able to enter the priority value exactly as it appears in the table below -- if you can't, make sure each record follows the indicated order (instead of 1, 5, 10, you can use 10, 20, 30, etc.).
- If you aren't able to assign priorities, you should only enter aspmx.l.google.com
- Set any TTL values to the maximum allowed.
- If you can't enter all five records, enter as many as you can.
- MX records often require a trailing dot (.) at the end (for example, aspmx.l.google.com).
|1 *Top priority
About Site by Tommy
Freelance web design and developer in Jakarta and Microsoft Certified Professional with five years of experience in web design and development, application development, database system, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), graphic design, logo design, business cards, corporate letterhead, posters/banners, brochures and flyers, social media marketing, and email marketing/campaign.